Monday, June 11, 2007

dorney park revisited...

Now that I have had a good night's sleep, and I think most of today's thunderstorms are past and I should have a steady internet connection, I am wanting to revisit the idea of concrete and chlorine at the water park.

It occurred to me that if you had never been to one of these amusement/water parks, you would wonder what I was talking about after seeing photos of ducks and cloudscapes in yesterday's post.

So, I thought I might also post some of the other images that reflect more of the park from another angle.

At one point, I was sitting and waiting for my son and his dad to take a break from the water rides, and a group of people walked past, leaving behind them an empty space with lots of wet footprints. Somehow, that was intriguing to me, all those people in the park and I was looking at an empty expanse of concrete with only the ghost of a memory of the crowd that had just passed.



To the left is the original shot...





...and what I had really focused in on mentally was more like this...





Though I think in my mind the footprints were more visible ;-) Maybe that was partly because I had to wait for a second wave of people to pass before I could get the photo that I wanted.



So, there's some of the concrete,

and for the chlorine part...

This was a wave generator pool, the water actually lapped up on the concrete 'beach' and seemed just a little bit like being at the ocean, but the 'sea breeze' was so chlorine-laden that it burned my throat and eyes! My son said that this one was a lot more fun than it seemed just by looking at it, because of the sensation of being lifted up high when the waves passed through. The water gets to 4 feet deep at the pool's deepest part, and he felt like he was being tossed up another three feet by the wave. I can imagine that must have been fun.

Because of the heavy solution of chemicals, though, the water actually looked like it was made of plastic gel. Here it is when the wave machine was turned off, as it was on a ten minute on, ten minute off cycle...




My older son said that it reminded him of CG...computer graphics, when they are not done well and the natural texture isn't added in.



To end this...this was a fun sight...one of the rides, it looks like an older wooden structure, as seen over the tops of the weeping willows....Kind of looks like an alien spaceship
coming in for a landing ;-).

The music was fun, too, broadcasting throughout the park. When we first walked in, Moby was playing...I think it was a song called Stay, but I haven't been able to find a video or even the lyrics for it.

2 comments:

Carter said...

Ah, but thank god for chlorine, oxidizing all of the pee in the pool...

Cindy said...

oops, I forgot to mention that part...