Saturday, June 23, 2007

ideas and reflections...

A long time ago, I had visions of creating all kinds of wonderful toys out of cedar branches and trunk pieces. My inspiration was a company called Heartwood Arts
whose products I fell in love with, but I couldn't afford to buy all that I would have wanted. Also, I really wanted to be able to create things more than just buy them from someone else, it was part of my mission as a mother...to let motherhood be the art education that I had always wanted. Little did I realize that art would be the thing that ended up on the bottom of the list most of time, after shopping, cooking, cleaning, changing diapers, etc. At that time, my neighbor was cutting down his Red Cedar tree...it broke my heart to see the tree die...and I decided to salvage as much of it as I could and make things with the wood. At least the tree wouldn't have lived in vain ;-). I did manage to make some things with the wood, but a whole lot of it is still sitting on my back porch, waiting for me to do something with it. One thing that I had thought of doing at one point was to make hand-carved wooden beads, and seeing the beads made by Tari in my earlier post sparked that idea for me again. Well, all that cedar might have a use again, and I started cutting some slices from a branch to carve into pendants. You can see the pile above. Two of the slices have been shaped around the edges and sanded a bit for a start. It's an idea...I don't know what will come of it, but I will explore some possibilities with it. The wood is so light, though. I like a bead that has some weight to it, so I'm not sure how I'll like these, but it should be fun. Maybe they'll need a hole at the bottom to dangle something from.


One thing that I most enjoy about bringing my boys to aikido practice, is that in warm weather I can be outside and watching the class practice through the sliding glass doors of the dojo. Here is a photo from Thursday night's 'flyers' class...
The dojo is part of an apartment complex, and many people take walks and stop to watch the goings on. One wonders what they're thinking as they see people rolling around and throwing each other to the mat.

While I was outside I noticed the moon...I managed to get a nice photo...this is the moon of the Summer Solstice...June 21st...

I do much better at photographing the moon when there is still some daylight left in the sky.

I'm expecting to be on my way to Brooklyn tomorrow, for a much needed solo road trip. I wasn't sure how this was going to work out, I thought my sons might want to come as well, but they're not very enthusiastic about the two hour drive right now and it's just as well as I'm realizing I really need this time for myself. I used to enjoy (and need) lots of free time for myself, but that has not been possible these past years of homeschooling and just raising kids. There's a part of me that really needs lots of alone time for exploring and just being, but it's really hard to justify that when there are people who need you, so that's been hard for me to reconcile. I think with this Mercury retrograde in Cancer bringing up lots of old emotions and memories, this fact is becoming very clear to me. We are also starting a period of time where Uranus will be retrograde, and so that emphasizes this time of emotional awareness with a time of changes in consciousness, and I'm definitely experiencing that! You can read more about this here: Kim Marie forecast
Here is part of the forecast for June 23rd...

"Sometimes Uranus can take us by surprise and completely change the landscape. Many times with a little bit of reflection we can recognize the signs were there, and ignored for security reasons. This is the first time (in a long time) that Uranus has started its retrograde cycle during Sun in Cancer. The emotional shakeups may push our security buttons more than usual."

So, hopefully there will be lots of Brooklyn photos soon.

2 comments:

Carter said...

Not to worry, Cindy - in a few years, you'll no longer have to change Mike's diapers, and will have significantly more time to devote to the arts ;-)

I think that a solo road trip to NY sounds wonderful... have a great time, and recharge your batteries!

Cindy said...

Carter, are you sure you're not Mike's other brother? ;-)

...and thanks, recharging is exactly what I need!
We've decided on a menu for Monday...nachos made it on to the list, since they were such a hit last time. Sorry about your dsl difficulties ;-( hope you get to read this.