Wednesday, July 11, 2007

aikido night...

Here are the photos from tonight's aikido event.

First, pre-practice, Carter is ready to go...George working on Cathy's drawing on his laptop, my friend Paul from the upstairs dojo appreciating his work, and brother Mike looking on.
















Getting into practice mode, slowly...George is Carter's official mentor...and one who believes in thinking first, doing later...


















Both George and Mike give pointers and help with the practicing...




















Yet Mike really enjoys turning it all into a big wrestling, tussling match..





















Carter is quite a good sport...if I didn't have reason to know better, I'd wonder if they weren't actually brothers....


































And on into the actual class, practicing before the test...here's George getting thrown by Lex.












After this came the actual test...I didn't photograph it, so I wouldn't distract Carter...he did very well, and will be sporting his brand new blue belt very soon.

As he was the only person testing tonight, the rest of the class was freestyle practice...meaning that one person has to fend off 2 or more attackers with whatever moves they find appropriate at the time. I missed most of that, as I went out to get the pizza...I heard my sons were very good ;-).

Next Saturday it will be their turn to test, though their test will be at Villanova University at the annual Summer Camp classes with Maruyama Sensei from Japan. I have a feeling we're going to have an anxious week this week coming up...we'll all be happy when it's over!

Then we plan to start taking breaks, at least on Tuesdays, so we'll have time for the beach and other trips, and mom can take a break from driving them to aikido twice a week, every week...

I did get that chocolate bundt cake...it was quite good...reminded me of a chocolate cake that my mom used to make with mayonnaise! Sounds odd, but it gave her cake a nice denseness and a little bit different taste that's a bit hard to explain.

I was hoping to see Cathy, too, but she wasn't there...at least she'll be able to see the photos.

5 comments:

kateri said...

hey!

What a night! Looks like fun :-) Bundt cake and pizza? better yet!

I have been wanting to write to you so much but I cannot send emails anymore for some reason from this location. I can receive them, and when I try ot send it hovers in my outbox...weird! Miss you!

Carter said...

Remind me to put Mike in a headlock the next time you have your camera out ;-) Thanks for the pictures! Great!

Cindy said...

The pizza was surprisingly good...I'd been wanting a pizza place near the dojo for so long, even found one that sends cheese-steaks to relocated customers in Florida!, but never knew about this place. And the cake was sooo good!
If you can't get through otherwise, you could try AIM...my username is cjrsag60. I should be home after 10:30 tonight.
Carter, I'm glad you like the photos...I'll make sure to keep my camera handy for impromptu headlocks ;-)

PixieDust said...

Mmmmm... pizza...mmmm...chocolate cake...
Mayonnaise?
Makes sense for the texture, but have never tried it.
Yup, sounds like mom needs a break, but how proud you must be of your boys.
Woo!Hoo!

Cindy said...

Hi pixiedust! Yes, sooo proud on so many different levels. It's all been totally worth it. July 21st will be a lot of fun, too. Once we get through the nervousness of waiting for camp to happen...I think they're going to shine brightly! If I can find a way to put the video up here, that would be fun. And I am looking forward to taking a break or two, or three...