Monday, July 23, 2007

blogs in print...


I stopped into Barnes and Noble tonight, after getting something to make for a late dinner, and that after spending a few hours at the dojo laying the mats back down and waiting for George and Mike and Cathy to finish rolling around on the mat and talking and talking and...yeah, talking some more ;-).

I saw this publication and browsed through it...it felt so weird...there are excerpts from blogs in here, quite a few people whose blogs I read, and yet instead of seeing it all in what feels like 3-D online, it was in print. Nina Bagley's photo of herself in black and white striped tights...I remember her writing about how she felt about it and people commenting on how they liked it...and here it was in print with no room for commenting...it was just such a funny thing to experience... Blogs are things that are interactive to some degree, and that can change at the whim of the blogger, and that take on a different flavor depending on who is commenting and what they say... So a reader of the magazine might take it all as though this is the way a blog needs to be...there's even an article of tips on starting a blog which I didn't see....and then they might get a more solidified view of the way blogging 'has' to be. I'm sure it's also got a good purpose, of bringing blogs to a wider audience who might not know where to look to find them...I just found it to be an interesting way to experience a world that I have recently become a part of and that I am not accustomed to seeing in a magazine format. It felt similar to the difference between a living flower and one that has been pressed between the pages of a book ;-).

3 comments:

kateri said...

That is really something... I never knew it existed! I will look for it next time I am at Borders! but I think you are right about a blog being a living exchange. It would lose so much without that.

PixieDust said...

I love the comparison, it is spot on - the difference between a live and pressed flower. The difference between 2 & 3 dimension, yes?
I think I need a trip to B&N
;-)

Cindy said...

I'm curious to know what you all think of it when you see it.