Monday, July 30, 2007

Mermaid Love...



Ever since I saw that the theme for this month's Art Bead Scene challenge was Mermaid's Grotto, I wanted to make something to enter. I'd been thinking about entering before, but mermaids!!, I love anything related to the sea and mermaids are so especially lovely.

I had bought this Russian lacquer hand-painted pendant not too long ago at Reed's Beads in Ambler, PA, and had several different ideas on what to create with it. I usually think of greens and blues for anything to do with the ocean, it's a very emotional connection for me, and the greens and blues are soothing and heart-centered, in my mind.

I must have picked up the curly everlasting shells, though, and realized how perfect they were for this pendant, not only for the colors, but for the curly-ness of them which is reflected in the curly-ness of the mermaid's pose and her hair. I loved the way the black seed beads set it all off, and the rest just sort of fell into place as I worked on it. I had to use smaller size 11 seed beads to fit into the shells before adding the size 8's that I used in between shells, so I wouldn't end up with gaps of exposed beading wire. The fringe is size 8's in matte black and iridescent green with black size 11's for the branches.

I love to be able to combine the different techniques that I've learned in my beading journey, though I had never had to tie thread onto the slick beading wire before. It took a few tries to photograph this well enough for the colors to be clear...the background is a sheet of hand-made paper that I have collected from Creative Papers Online.

Other bead sources are Sedona Stones for the aventurine bead, and Happy Mango Beads for the shells and freshwater pearls. The little Thai silver beads in the fringe are from Saki Silver.

You can get to the entries from the ABS blog, but here's a direct link to the Flickr group, to make it a little easier.

***I've noticed that not all the entries will show up, including mine, if you are not signed in to Flickr and, I think also, signed in to the ABS group. I sent an email to ABS about this, and will see what can be done to change that. Meanwhile, you can still see a large portion of the entries, which are quite beautiful.

3 comments:

PixieDust said...

Oh, my! Those little pink shells are gorgeous - a crowning glory to that beautiful pendant...

(sigh)

:-)

kateri said...

Hey! Told you last night, but Ill tell you again... so pretty! I love the seaweedy tendrils at the bottom :-)

Nice photo, too!

Cindy said...

Thank you both! This has been fun to do. I wonder what next month's theme will be? ;-).