Wednesday, July 25, 2007

paperwork and music...

I am getting the paperwork together that notifies the school district of our intentions to homeschool again this year. This is simple, just a notarized affidavit and a list of objectives covering every required subject, three pages all together to be mailed certified mail before August 1st. I used to go to the school itself and walk down that long carpeted hallway to the superintendent's office to drop off all our paperwork, and then decided that although it felt silly to go to the post office when the school is hardly a mile away, it did make life a bit more pleasant for me in the long run.

When I submitted last year's portfolio, it actually took until April of this year to receive it back with an acceptance letter from the superintendent. I've been through lots of years of having to send additional papers, or having to explain why the law didn't require me to submit certain things, so, I was quite happily surprised this year when I received the portfolio back within a month of submitting it, along with a thorough approval letter! For once, I had decided that it didn't matter to me if they approved of it or not, or how long it might take, and here was the response that I would have loved to have gotten many years ago. I know that I have grown through the complications that I had through these years, I also believe that my responses to the school district helped to educate them as to what the actual minimum is that is required by law, and so make it easier for future home-educators in this district who choose not to over-comply with the law.

I've definitely had lots of help with these issues, from other homeschoolers who have had to deal with the same issues. One of these is our current evaluator, Gloria Molek, who made my life so much easier in June, when I thought I wasn't moving fast enough on getting the paperwork done. The end result was that she called me the weekend before I had planned to mail out my papers, and took care of half of the evaluation process right there on the phone, thereby making the whole process that much easier for me to complete.

I have wanted to share something about her daughter since then, but haven't gotten around to it until now. Her daughter is a gifted singer/songwriter/musician and has been performing at clubs around the general Pittsburgh area for some time. Now she is looking for venues that will expand her geographical range, and I was asked that if I knew of any venues that were good places for her to perform, that I might notify her, and to spread the word as well. So here it is. And here is Cathasaigh....

If you know of any clubs, fairs, any kind of venue that would be good for a young artist to perform in, please let me or Cathasaigh know about it. She plans to spread out to several states around and including PA as far as I know. There is a place on her website to see where she is playing now, and also to submit your own suggestions.

You can hear her songs on her website, and I found a video that she has uploaded to her myspace page....

Call Me Hitchhiker [live]

Add to My Profile | More Videos

6 comments:

kateri said...

She sounds like an angel. I was listening to her Christmas songs..wow! What talent and beauty! I cannot imagine that she will not be heard in many more places. Thank you for sharing!

I remember he homeschool paperwork! ARGGHHHH. I only did it for three years though... I can't imagine you have done it for so long!

Cindy said...

She would travel to where you are if you can point out some good places for her. Gloria would rather not have to go sight-unseen to a place and find out that it's a dump, you know? She wants people to point out places that they know are good places to be.

I am so glad that I only have to do paperwork for one, now. It does get so tedious...it's not hard, but just doing this year after year when I know it's just a formality is a pain.

PixieDust said...

That voice! So beautiful!
:-)
Unfortunately, I live in Northern Cal, not much help to you - or her.

Cindy said...

Maybe someday, pixie ;-).

kateri said...

It's lonely around here... I hope you are feeling better. I miss your words and visions... Love to you...

Cindy said...

Thanks for the reminder :-)...