Saturday, August 11, 2007

beach walk bracelet...

I made this bracelet a few years ago. I had gone to a bead show at Fort Washington Expo Center, which no longer exists, and met Tony and Lisa Blackwell of ZoaArt. I was so impressed with them...their spirit and the way that they talked about how they worked together. I had never bought lampworked beads before, except for maybe a few spacer beads, and Tony had these little ones that he called window beads, because of the clear glass areas where you could see the colors underneath. He had just recently started making and selling beads, and I believe these were some of his first ones. There are three of them here, one on the far right, one closer to the middle and one on the left, next to the mauve bead. There's also a hand-painted ceramic bead, the green with blue stripes, not his, I don't know who the artist is for that one.

I think of this bracelet as something like a walk on the beach..there's no rhyme or reason to the pattern of the elements in it, just what I felt like adding as I went along, like picking up random shells on the beach.

I had worn it to a later year's show, and had wanted to show it to Tony and Lisa, but didn't see them the first day, and then forgot to wear it again the second day when I did see them, so here it is now. Click on the photo so you can see the beads close-up.

Tony's work has definitely evolved over the years, you can see some of his latest beads here.

6 comments:

kateri said...

This is so pretty... the colours remind of the stones I always bring home from the beach. I love the clasp too!

Cindy said...

Thanks Kateri!

tony said...

hi cindy...i soooooo love it...it's so great to see what people do with my beads...and it gives me a chance to look back to some of the work i did in the past...thanks for sharing...it looks wonder-full...

Cindy said...

Thanks Tony!! So glad you like it...you've come a long way in your work, it's fun to be a small part of that. I do love these little window beads and the memories that they bring me. I'm hoping to see you two again at the Philadelphia area shows, now that you're back ;-).

PixieDust said...

Perfect name for this lovely bracelet... it is exactly like taking a stroll, and seeing the random beauty the beach can offer.

:-)

Cindy said...

thanks pixie...i am missing the beach more and more..need to take a ride soon...