Sunday, August 26, 2007

postage stamps...

I used to collect postage stamps....just fell in love with some of the wonderful artwork that was available on them. I had a standing order from China, Sweden and Australia, not all at the same time, but one after another, I believe.

The stamps have been sitting in books and envelopes for some years , now, and I've been thinking of turning some of them into jewelry by sandwiching between pieces of glass and soldering the pieces together. That got me wondering, what other stamps might be available now, and I found some wonderful ones on ebay, from this seller....Karicenter

These are the stamps that I just ordered...not that I need more stamps...just that these were so appealing...will I cut them apart to make jewelry?...ahhh, we'll see. It's a bad habit of mine...not wanting to destroy anything, but then, I was thinking, how long have my stamps been sitting in hiding, and for what purpose? At least if they are made into jewelry they will be seen and appreciated.

This first one is from Aland...it is a painting by Tove Jansson of the Moomin Trolls...stories written by the artist.



This set of stamps is from Estonia...more trolls by Edgar Valter...



...and Great Horned Owls from Finland...I love the possibilities for using this set as pendants...each stamp has a completely different look to it.


If these are anything like the stamps that I have from Sweden, the quality will be superb...even the paper is wonderful that they are printed on.

I bet you thought stamp collecting was dull ;-).

4 comments:

PixieDust said...

You are being too modest, in your hands it would not be destroying them but enhancing their beauty!

:-)

I can't wait to see some of your stamp jewelery. Encased in the glass would be beautiful. You could even decoupage on wood cut to size, and protect with resin, no?

Cindy said...

Thank you pixie...I'll have to remember to look at it that way...I think it's the idea of it being a collector's item...like the way I was taught to take care of books so carefully...and then to undo that 'training' in order to make an altered book...I'm much better now, though, at getting past those conditionings, though it's taken time to get here ;-)

I like the idea of using wood and resin, too...there's an artist on etsy who makes little artworks on wood as pendants...maybe that's an idea for you, huh? ;-)

kateri said...

I think it is a wonderful idea also... stamps ARE art. And why not think of this way? Buy certain stamps just to make more art... and save some for your collection. Even make a beautiful art album of stamps to browse through...saving even one stamp from each series to remind you of what you have created and sold? And paint and draw and embellish around them, write a journal of sorts of what was going on in your life, things that the images on the stamps evoke?
I ADORE the the little tomten stamps! :-)

Cindy said...

wonderful ideas Kateri!
i'm looking at a book online of photos and handwritten comments by the subject...and thinking of what you said...maybe stamps and handwritten words on a pendant...hmmm...

luckily, my swedish stamps came as a 'year set' along with the same individual stamps...so I can start there and still know that I have the whole set intact...maybe it'll be a good practice for learning to let go of concepts, of expectations, etc...