Friday, August 31, 2007

summer's ending...

Strangely hazy week this week...I thought this photo was as good as any to illustrate it...Michael and I had taken a ride through the cemetery at dusk and this was a new monument in process...a bit fuzzy because it was getting dark...

We went to aikido on Tuesday, George ended up staying home. He'd been extremely frustrated with having his cast on...I've always trusted that my sons know what their bodies need...we each have our own inner sense of what is healthy for us. Usually it is subverted by giving away our inner authority to outer authorities, doctors, teachers, etc...it's not that there isn't valuable information and guidance to be had from these people, just that our own inner rhythms and awarenesses also need to be honored as having valuable guidance for each of us, usually this is not the case. I just heard a story from Cathy about medication that she was given that caused a horrible systemic reaction in her. She had asked the doctor about drug interactions and was told that there was no problem with the medication that she was already taking...afterwards, reading the info sheet with the medication, she found out that the drug she had asked about was listed as one that would cause problems with the new medication...so she could have avoided the excruciating reaction that she had if the doctor had been more aware and listened to her concerns. Anyway, back to George, who took a pocket knife to his cast and gave himself freedom this week! He's now wearing a thumb splint, but is free of the cast that was causing him such inner agony...there's no way that I can know if this is what is best for him or not...only he can make that determination. I fully support his choice, even though it was hard for me to deal with...I certainly felt much more secure and reassured when I knew that his wrist was immobilized and he was following doctors orders...but, as George reminded me of my own teachings, the body is not going to heal very well if the body's inhabitant is frustrated and unable to allow the healing process to proceed without much inner turmoil.

I haven't gotten as much accomplished as I might have hoped. I am moving along pretty well with my Australian flower essence correspondence course, though. I was struggling a bit, not having taken any courses in a long time, and trying to be very thorough. This turned out to be a problem, me getting stuck in too many details, so I realized that I could take a more holistic view of the whole course and move through more quickly, and that is working better for me.
I'm hoping to get at least one more piece of jewelry done for the ABS challenge, today is the last day of August...amazing...where did it go?

I received the stamps that I ordered from ebay today...with an added bonus, since they shipped from Finland and the envelope needed stamps as well...
A few visuals from Aikido last night...
...some of the last of Janet's offerings from her garden...




I am looking for patterns in nature now, that I can turn into soldered glass pendants...so here is an 'eye of birch'....




and, with one son in class, the other chatting with Cathy and Claire, and no one else around to have a conversation with, I took my woolen army blanket out of the trunk of my car, and sat myself against a birch tree with magazines and a sketchpad...



not too bad since I haven't sketched in awhile and also brought a limited supply of Conte pastels with me...I liked having only a few choices of colors, I had to be selective in what I drew...no green, so no grass.


On to the rest of the day for me...I hope you all enjoy the rest of your day today!

1 comment:

PixieDust said...

I don't think I could have watched my baby remove her own cast either. What incredible strength you showed in respecting your son's judgment. How empowering for him, so that he will always respect his own judgment as well.

Love the sketch! So glad you took the time to allow some creative relaxation while waiting. I always have crafts in the car for when I'm waiting for my daughter... sometimes it is the only time we have for creativity, no?

:-)