Saturday, September 8, 2007

once...

I'd been wanting to see the movie Once for a little while. I thought I had missed it when I saw that it was no longer playing at the Ambler Theater and was only in two theatres in and around Philadelphia. Then I found it again at the Hiway Theatre in Jenkintown, PA, less than 10 minutes from my house.



I went to see it tonight. It was my first time ever in the Hiway Theatre, and it was a very enjoyable experience. The Hiway is an historic old theatre that is undergoing renovations. There is one single room for movies...no multiplexes here! I went to the 10:10 PM showing, and shared the theatre with about 20 other people, scattered throughout the middle of the room.

I enjoyed the movie. It started quite slowly and meanderingly, the sound and imagery were somewhat gritty and earthy, kind of like a good quality home movie, and I felt as though I had been invited to share a part of the character's lives for a short time. The funny thing is, I can't say that it was wonderful or had a great story or even fantastic music...but all together it made a good story and a pleasant experience. I walked out of the theatre feeling more like myself in some ways...having not been bombarded with special effects, the experience was very grounding and intimate. I'm glad that I went, instead of waiting for the dvd. It was fun to drive back home and feel as though I had just gone around the corner to visit a friend.



Here's a live performance of Falling Slowly...

Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova



2 comments:

kateri said...

I cannot wait to see this movie...

My mom was really taken by it, as were others I know.
His voice is so soothing to me. Something about him reminds me of Damien Rice... without the edge.

Wonderful old theatre!

PixieDust said...

I was all set to see this movie, and it disappeared from theatres after one week or so! The only place it could be found were tiny out of the way (WAY out of the way for me) theatres and I had to resign myself to waiting for a rental.

So glad you enjoyed it! I had heard it was wonderful!