Monday, September 10, 2007

wissahickon creek part 2...

Look at this great rock! I believe it is serpentine...though it's been awhile since I've looked at a geology book, so I could be wrong.
*(Yes, I was wrong...I'll update on it later if I can...it's a combo of two types of rocks in layers.)

I researched this area a few years ago, there are some wonderful formations here because the rock was pushed up from the earth and shows all these layers and folds.









Heading up the trail again.. .they did a lot of stopping and waiting for me, as I stopped for photographs and to pick up rocks.






Here the trail divided, and I wasn't sure which way they had gone...until I found them sitting on this rock outcropping....
The rocks that they are on were full of garnets, and George used his famous pocket knife to get a few out...followed by Michael as well...














Here's a close-up of the rock full of garnets, as well as staurolite, which has a cross shape and is usually larger than the garnets...














We made our way back down the trail as the light started to fade....this is the Valley Green Inn at dusk, taken from the bridge above it...

Here's an earlier photo of the bridge...









and the 'spoils' of the day....



The tiny stones at the bottom are mostly garnets...I think the striped stone to the right is serpentine *(not...probably the same as above)...and the shiny stones are mica schist. There are others, unidentified by me at the moment. I was surprised by the colors...some of these are a very shiny reddish gold, very pretty.



Time for me to find some of the books that I had borrowed from the library before. There were some old geology books that showed where caves could be found..something to do for the next trip!




P.S. Had to reload most of these photos...blogger somehow just dropped them all off into cyberspace!

1 comment:

kateri said...

Wow, that is a really SPECIAL place! I love the photos... the rocks remind me of New Hampshire. Amazing the living energy in a rock, hey? MIllions of years in some cases...the serpentine rock is just breathtaking!

Thank you for sharing!