Tuesday, October 2, 2007

last one...

Finishing up my account of our trip...imagine spending a few hours somewhere and then spending a few days talking about it! I'm wondering what this is all about ;-)...but I guess my memories of past trips there is all a part of my blogging about it, so it's more to me than just a day trip.

After two beaches, we stopped in the Cape May lighthouse parking lot and headed to the restrooms to change out of wet clothes. At that point, everyone was ready to head into the city of Cape May and walk and eat, so we found a parking spot on Ocean Ave...not easy since the place was very populated with visitors and parking was not easy to find. There had been an Oktoberfest event that day as well, though we didn't want to stop for that and miss the daylight at the beach. We walked to the Washington Street Mall from there, just a few blocks away.

I love mermaid imagery, and had to take a photo of this in front of a store on Ocean Ave...


















Fudge samples were abundant, and there were many stops for these....
















Horse and carriage tours are fun to see...not so fun (as I found out later) when you're ready to go home and get stuck driving behind one when the driver is pointing out historical buildings...but they eventually make a turn at a corner...




We stopped to get food and sat outside with our pizza, etc...then headed back to Beach Street for a final pitstop and to check out the ocean in darkness....it was quite an experience...lots of stars overhead, and you walk onto a beach that disappears in front of you into blackness with the sound of the ocean waves somewhere in front of you....really fun, but Claire seemed to be getting cold and everyone was tired, so it was time to move on....





Exiting the beach took us past Henry's restaurant....what's the opposite of OPEN?...








Then back in the car and home...took me awhile, too...a wrong turn took me through Wildwood...then back onto the Garden State Parkway and onto 55 for about 2 hours. We dropped off Claire at home and headed through Philly to take Cathy home (not without getting a bit more lost, though, before getting onto the Besty Ross bridge to get back into PA). A few things I am learning, as I have been through so many changes in my life and in my way of thinking and doing things, some things need to be adjusted. I always used to use maps to get around, and with more and more reliance on the internet I now print out driving instructions from google maps...this does not work for me! I need to see a visual outlay of the roads...then I can orientate myself wherever I am because I have an inner sense of direction based on the visual of the map and the roads, etc. Having incremental directions...go 2.9 miles and make a slight left...does not work for me! The other thing is that when I first started driving, if someone told me to 'drive carefully' it felt like they were questioning my driving abilities ;-). Now, it feels more like a warm hug! I not only had that experience before we left, thanks to Lex and Tom, but as we were leaving the apartment complex after dropping Cathy off, it happened again. I was expecting it though...the gentleman at the gate has to raise the gate to let me out when it's late at night. He's gotten to know my face, now, and the last time I went through it was a bit later than usual, close to 11 pm...and he made it a point to call out of his door to me to drive safely and have a good night. This time it was past midnight, and I told the boys that he would probably do the same...the later it is he seems to get more concerned about me....George suggested that I'd be disappointed if he didn't...I thought so too...but I slowed down and lowered my window just in case...I wasn't disappointed...he unlocked his door and came out to make sure that I knew that I had to drive carefully now ;-)...I told him how much appreciated that was, as I'd been driving all day...and he smiled even more broadly and told me two more times...funny how my perception of these things has changed!

I was quite exhausted after all that...and have had somewhat of a headcold/allergy ever since but that's getting better now. We're making plans for another trip, this time to look for crystals and minerals...trips that we'd planned to take last year but that didn't materialize. This year I think they'll happen.

And, with George's permission, I am putting his thoughts about the day here, from his DeviantArt Journal written when we got home...


"Just got back from the beach today, with my Mom (~AlchemyOfLife) and brother (~Blaze13), and friends Cathy (~EyeOfOmega) and Claire (~piikachuu). Cape May, New Jersey is always an awesome place to visit, and despite it being late in the year, the weather was great. We ended up visiting multiple beaches on Cape May Point, and did a great job wearing ourselves and each other out. We ended the day checking out the beach one last time, after the sun had set; the ocean is really something at night.
Most of us either slept or fought off sleep on the way back, completely worn out. Of course, me being the insomniac that I am, I wasn't one of the lucky ones to fall asleep on the way back; as a matter of fact, three hours later, here I am writing a journal. My legs ache like hell, but I wouldn't mind taking the two-hour car drive back up to the point again, sometime soon. :D (doubtful that the weather will stay this nice long enough though.)"

I think he puts it all into perspective pretty well!

Check out the post after this one with his latest art, too.

1 comment:

PixieDust said...

Sounds like a wonderful time all the way around... I enjoy that even a long drive can clarify our perspectives - how they change and grow, yes?

And, George, my fellow insomniac - I know the feeling of watching everyone sleep while you wish you were doing the same, then still being up for it all over again, heehee!

:-D