Monday, October 1, 2007

more beach adventures...


...and so...looking back at these photos I realize that we were getting a clear directive to head south! ;-) Well, I'm kind of kidding here, but this is pretty clear...road signs in the sky! I remember noticing the cool looking cloud, and photographing it, and not thinking too much about it at the time, but how nicely it fits into my story now!










Just one more from our first stop, before I move on...a flock of geese high up over the ocean....











We got back in the car and headed down Sunset Blvd to the end at Sunset Beach. I hadn't been to this beach in years, not since the kids were little, and had remembered it as being covered in beach pebbles...larger than what I saw on Saturday, but maybe that changes over time, or I just remembered it wrong...still, I think they were larger than this....

It is still quite different from a sandy beach. You're actually walking on pebbles, tiny to larger ones higher up on the beach....the group headed up the beach to explore while I couldn't take a step without finding one more wonderful treasure....






















The first thing to greet us before we even parked the car was the deep orange and black of a monarch butterfly. The guys found them hovering around the flowers near the beach, but they were too mobile for photos. Here's a bit of the flowers, though...

...and someone who did stay still...for quite a while...



even while everyone climbed around on his/her resting place....
















I actually have 122 photos from this day....you're seeing a sampling, and I'm agonizing over the ones I'm leaving out ;-)...


I think you're getting a nice overview of the day, though...here's a distance shot after I headed over to look for butterflies and the gang headed back to the beach...looks like the ocean is going to drain off the side of the photo...

There's an article here about this beach, and the wreck of the World War One concrete ship, Atlantus, (which you can see just beyond where everyone is standing)...and how it causes all these pebbles to wash up here, including Cape May 'diamonds'...



Just a bit more to come, of our walk in Cape May...a little later today, I think.

I'll leave you with this video...Weird NJ visits Cape May's Concrete Ship...

1 comment:

PixieDust said...

What a beautiful day to have spent at the beach... I love your description of the ocean draining off - beautiful!

:-)

And, yes! that could was definately telling you where to go! heehee

;-)