Sunday, December 2, 2007

what I've been doing...

I often wonder, when I'm trying so hard to get a handle on the things in my life that I am working on, why do I suddenly make a 90 degree turn and start getting very enthused about something else? I'm thinking/hoping that it's a way to shake up my energy and rekindle creativity, and therefore, to help me to reorient myself in regards to the things that I've been getting stuck on. I think it is, and I know that it feels good to start something new (or restart something old) and start the creative juices flowing again.

I've been suddenly pulled to explore fabrics and embroidery again, though in a very different way than ever before.
I used to work from kits and patterns, and that was very soothing and calming for me and a good way to learn the basics. Now, I want to do some simple projects that involve embroidery and maybe appliqué, though I'm just in the idea gathering stage right now. I thought it would be fun to share some of the projects that I've done in the past.

Here is a crewel embroidery that I did when I was a young teen....



I think that I was around 12 or so when I did it, and I'm sure that it was from a kit with the design printed onto the fabric. Lots of work, here, though. This one is 16 x 20 inches.












Next is a Christmas ornament from 1990...counted cross-stitch from a pattern, maybe from a magazine....it's a small pillow, about 3 x 2 1/2 inches. I think it should have a hanging loop, but I used to just set it up on a branch in the tree.








And this, very wrinkled as I just pulled it out of the closet where it's been for years, was something I was very enthused about for long enough to embroider the tree and a few animals, but there are still some deer and rabbits to be done before it could be considered finished. I love it, but I don't know if it will ever get done. Maybe I'll have to find some creative solution so that I can frame it and put it on display anyway.


There's more...I think I like these best, though. I have a large needlepoint of mother and child that I started before my first son was born, and some other large cross-stitch pieces that didn't hold my interest for very long. It's funny to look back and see what I thought I wanted but now wonder what it was that interested me in them. I guess I was just trying out different possibilities.

I've been very inspired by several artists lately and have been following blogs and getting books from the library, buying new needles and planning a trip to the fabric store. I will try to share some of that in the future. It's been fun for me to discover the techniques and styles that excite me now, though I don't know exactly where it's all leading me. The adventure of it all is the main thing.


4 comments:

PixieDust said...

Wow, these are so impressive! My daughter loves cross-stitch and often gives them as gifts. I love to applique with felt, though I will be on a mission to purchase wool felt after the new year.

Can't wait to see what you come up with...

:-)

kateri said...

Wow, those are amazing! So much work! Who knows what you will discover. I wish I still had the kind of time I did once to do handwork. I love it so much. My gramma and I used to embroider tea towels after ironing on the little blue patterns that we would buy at the 5 & 10.

So many things to get into that involve texture and colour. I still do handwork, only now I am much more selective than I used to be. With very little time, the hours I do get to spend with it are really treasured. I think handwork is indispensible. Good for you for fiding new ways to enter it. :-)

kateri said...

Will you share photos of what you are working on now? Are you just choosing a palette of threads and a blank canvas and letting yourself go free? I LOVE colorful embroidery threads...just thinking about it makes me want to do it...so can you indulge me in yours? :-)

tangled stitch said...

I am a hand embroidery artist and I think it is a wonderful medium to express. Your previous works are wonderful and there are never enough people in the world keeping us in stitches. Good luck on your embroidery journey! I hope you will share some of your later works with us also.