Thursday, March 19, 2009

macroday illustration...


This one was tough. I actually knew the exact illustration I would use as soon as I read the challenge details, but choosing the right photo was hard. This illustration is artwork that was created for me by my friend Cathy Farrell. I was so amazed by what she did with this, it is my favorite piece of art. The subject is dark and light and thoughtful and intriguing all at once and the details are incredible. Initially, I photographed just one part of it in incandescent light. I liked how it came out, but decided to try it in daylight since I so much prefer the effects of natural light. I had so much fun focusing on all the details, and then I had a whole lot of photos to choose from! I chose this one, because it feels mysterious to me and I like the way the window light casts shadows in parts and totally washes out in other places, echoing the themes of the drawing itself.

If you want to see more of the photos that I took, there's a Flickr set of them here. More of Cathy's artwork can be seen here.

I also want to say thank you to those people who voted for my Tools entry and put it in third place!

No comments: