Sunday, March 1, 2009

my etching experiment....

In between lots of interruptions and distractions...good ones, but still...(see last post), I did manage to get a piece of copper etched and patinaed. I didn't go to great lengths to do it perfectly. I wanted to try different types of resists, stamps both commercial and homemade, as well as writing with a Sharpie so I could see how it all worked out. It wasn't exactly my first try, I did one piece a little while ago using salt water and a battery. It's pretty time consuming and I was more drawn towards using the PCB etchant solution from Radio Shack when I finally found it, so here it is:

This is the piece with the stamping and writing on it. Probably all needs to be more sharp, but I do also want to try to get a more scrumbly look at some point...


Here is one part after etching and cleaning...



and the same one after liver of sulfur patina and heating with a butane torch...


and the one with my favorite new stamp...




It's a start, and I'm so very happy to actually have done it and gotten some finished pieces of copper that I can play with. Next time I want to make the etching deeper, I wasn't sure how long to keep it in for at first, and wanted a baseline result to begin with. I also want to carve some more stamps of my own designs and see how that works, too.

I have so very many ideas...I write them all down and hope for a decent stretch of uninterrupted time to actually accomplish some of what's in my head! I do love this life, with all it's twists and turns, and I so much love being able to create what I love. This is just a beginning! Soon there'll be lots of drumming and electric guitar happening...maybe it'll give me more time to create...or less :-) ...we'll see!

3 comments:

Jennifer Stumpf said...

Cindy, if you are using PCB etchant, a nice deep etch will take about four hours or more. Be sure to jiggle it to agitate the chemical now and then. =) I think these look just splendid!

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Beautiful etched and patinaed pieces, they look architectural! Keep going ...

Cindy said...

Thank you both! Your tips and encouragement are so wonderful!