Thursday, March 12, 2009

snowdrop saga...

The snowdrop flower signifies hope and joy and anticipation of a happy future. As a flower essence, it can help us to put the darkness behind us, let go of what we don't need anymore, and move on to a happier inner space that can lead us into a happier outer place in whatever way is appropriate for us.

What a wonderful way to usher in the coming spring and let go of the dark, cold days of winter! Which is probably why I find myself looking for my little patch of snowdrops sometime in February. They are the first indication that spring truly is on its way, after the beige and brown and white of winter.

At the end of February, since there were still a lot of dead, dry leaves in my front yard, I couldn't see them. I went outside and pushed away the leaves where they normally would be, and there were the shoots just coming up. Maybe they couldn't see much sunlight, and so they weren't in a hurry to blossom yet. A day or so later, though, they had made great progress. This is how they looked on March 1st...

...like little papooses all wrapped up!

If I could, I'd insert a photo of thick snow here, because they were underneath that within a day.


By last Thursday, the snow had mostly melted away...






















...and by Saturday this is how they looked.





















Ready to fly into spring, I think!

3 comments:

Light and Writing said...

I don't think I have ever heard of these! They are beautiful!

Flor Larios Art said...

Beautiful flowers! I love white flowers!

Cindy said...

They are very sweet and delicate looking flowers. I've gotten very attached to seeing them so I know that spring is on it's way! I think the previous owners of our home must have planted them, or I probably wouldn't have known about them either.