Friday, October 23, 2009

a couple of finds...

First is a glue...
I use E6000 for glueing jewelry components together, but I hate the smell of it. I noticed in Laurie Mika's book, Mixed-Media Mosaics, that she recommends Weldbond for her projects. She said that it was hard to find, and it probably was when she wrote the book, but it just showed up in my local Michael's store. It's non toxic and odor free, yay!







Next, I had an idea to use ribbon for necklaces that I could embroider or otherwise embellish. I wanted something natural, that would feel good on the neck (and in the hand!) and be soft and flexible. One possibility is japanese silk ribbon, and I'm still looking into that. In the process of researching I came across hand-dyed organic cotton ribbon and purchased a few pieces to try. They are available here from Near Sea Naturals. I bought one yard of 3/8 inch wide ribbon in chocolate, and one of 7/8 inch in blackberry, plus a yard of cotton twill tape that I'm thinking of tea-dying. I photographed it on top of a 1/2 yard piece of the thickest, softest organic flannel also from Near Sea Naturals.

And I'll throw in a bit of music to round things out. I first heard the sounds of Tegan and Sara emanating from my son's room, and was intrigued and a bit unsure of how I felt about their sound (this song). This new-to-me song came up last night on my Pandora station, and I find that I'm hooked :-)...



3 comments:

mairedodd said...

ok, thanks for sharing well, everything! the glue, tape and music... i always love learning about new things - for how can any one person ever know about it all?! :0) see mary ann linden in your favorites - i just adore her work... it seems to end up in almost anything i make...

mairedodd said...

p.s. what plays as the background to your blog? i tried to id it on my phone but it couldn't find a match... makes me think of lord of the rings, journey type music...

kvk said...

I love getting inspiration from your kids, it must make you feel like a job well done.
For some really beautiful silk ribbons, check out http://www.artemisinc.com/ ... also Midori dupioni silk ribbons http://www.mjtrim.com/Catalog/Product/176/37302/37302.aspx