Tuesday, October 20, 2009

stitching and more...

I've been experimenting with a lot of different crafts lately. I have books piled by my bed on needlework, jewelry, art journaling and more. I've been in a very expansive mode, but when I think that some particular form of handwork is going to grow into a major focus for me, I find that I move on to something else and then start to combine the different results and ideas. So, that makes it hard to know what to share here, since nothing is really finished. The following photos show two projects that I ended up putting together.


I found it somewhat challenging to photograph in any way that really brought out the colors and textures, so I feel the need for two ;-).



One inspiration for this was the book Patchwork Folkart by Janet Bolton. My result is not much like her technique, but it gave me the inspiration to use scraps and some very textured objects to make a design. The idea for the wirework came from many sources. One of my favorite books on this is Wirework by Ellen Wieske. An online inspiration is the work of claire Rougerie of De Beaux Souvenirs. She has a blog here and another one here, and a facebook page as well. Oh, and can't forget the etsy site! Debeauxsouvenirs.etsy.com

This all reminds of another project from a little while back...oh so hard to photograph as well!



At some point I fell in love with Calder's works. The way that he and his family lived was very inspiring to me. This book is one I'd love to own someday...Calder at Home: The Joyous Environment of Alexander Calder. When I first saw his mobiles, a looong time ago, I didn't understand them at all! How much I've changed over my lifetime so far!


2 comments:

mairedodd said...

oh, i definitely need to read up on calder's life... this is all so great! looks like you are just fine with the mixed media which is where i am at... i don't know if it is because i haven't done it yet or what, but i am feeling the need to dabble in resin and fabric... the book 'a charming exchange' is very inspiring... you may feel that you fit right into that vibe! i know i do.. they have a blog too, you can catch the link on my blog...

kvk said...

Love the wire work - I got to see the Calder jewelry exhibition last year - stunning. Lusting after the book - big book, big bucks.
And what is it about stitching - something almost primal, from cellular memory.