Friday, November 20, 2009

working on...

I've been experimenting with polymer clay for a few weeks now. I've got a pile of pieces that I don't quite know how to categorize just yet. I think that's part of the experimental phase for me...I tend to move from one idea to another just to get a feel for how the process works, and then I can start to make some sense out of what exactly I want to make.

In the meantime, here are some photos of my experiments with the mokume gane technique..

I made these (above) a few days ago, so they look a little less sharp then when I first made them.

These I did last night, with the addition of a bit of silver leaf foil in the layers. I think I may need to slice the pieces a bit thinner, or maybe make more impressions in the clay, since they seem a bit too uncomplex...not sure, I'm still playing with this technique. After the slices are made they can be used to cover a round bead, a flat pendant, etc.

Here's a preview of my work-in-progress for this month's Art Bead Scene challenge...



I haven't worked it all out yet, but I think I should be able to get it done by the end of the month.

Here are two videos that show the mokume gane technique in two parts. She does a lot more colors and an extra step of plugging in white pieces that I didn't do.


1 comment:

mairedodd said...

very cool! this is really unique - and i love how you worked the silver leaf into the second set... the colors you have picked for the abs are great... did you make that bead in the front?