Thursday, December 17, 2009

self-appreciation...

Deep inside of us all, there is a place of peace and stillness that is pure and restorative to our psyches and souls.

How often are we pulled away from this? In fact, how much have we forgotten about it's existence in the first place?

I am reading the book The Vortex, by Esther and Jerry Hicks. I have read a few of their books, and have listened to cd's and seen them on dvd as well. The Vortex that they refer to is this place inside that is always there for us, always available, and yet we forget that it is there, forget how to get back to it...all to our detriment.

Today's society, at least in the U.S. where I live, generally sees this as new age fluff, not to be trusted or believed. I think it has a lot to do with what you call it and how you talk about it. I think everyone can relate to the idea of being able to feel peaceful inside at certain times, to feel uplifted by music, by beautiful photographs, whatever works for each individual...but I think we tend to believe that it is the object outside of ourselves that does this to us.

In actuality, it is something that is within each and every one of us, always there, always waiting for us to tap into it again in some way.

I started writing this because of the chapter at the end of the book about self-appreciation, and hence the title of this post, but in looking for a way to describe and demonstrate this, I ended up going in a slightly different, but related, direction.

I found this on YouTube...it's not really a video...just a still photo with the sound of Esther Hicks' voice speaking for Abraham...I think it's a helpful one to listen to...just remember that 'vortex' is that place inside where you feel your best...and it is from this place that all good things come to us in our lives...



***

1 comment:

kvk said...

ooohh - good one! I've been a fan of the Hicks for many years, but haven't followed them for the last couple. The Vortex may need to come to my house. Thanks for the reminder and for the link.

We got about 8 or 9", chilly, no driving for a couple of days, but beautiful. Stay warm!